iOS 16, which was announced on WWDC22 in June 2022, is now available for download. Apple has started rolling out its most recent major update with a range of new features, fixes, and security improvements. In addition to iOS 16, Apple is launching watchOS 9 for compatible Apple Watch models (Series 4 and newer).
On the following iPhone models, you may download iOS 16:
This year, Apple has left behind several old iPhone models: the first iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, and iPhone 7, along with its plus-sized version.
Here are a few of the most significant changes in iOS 16:
- Redesigned lock screen: users can now personalize fonts, add widgets, and create multiple lock screen designs. iOS 16 lets you link a specific lock screen to a focus profile, so the look and feel of our iPhone match what you do.
- Redesigned notifications and Live Activities: notifications now appear at the bottom of the screen for better accessibility. Also, Live Activities let you get updates and "stay on top of things" without leaving the lock screen.
- Editable and delectable iMessage: similar to popular messengers, iMessage now lets you edit or delete a sent message, plus mark messages as unread. Other iOS 16 improvements for iMessage include SharePlay via Messages and improved collaboration.
- Passkeys: a new sign-in method "that is end-to-end encrypted and safe from phishing and data leaks."
- Mail improvements: the built-in Mail client lets you undo send, schedule an email, and add rich links.
- Smarter Dictation: it is now easier to move from voice input to the keyboard, plus Smart Dictation can automatically add commas, periods, question marks, and even emojis.
- Intelligent features: iOS 16 can "lift" a subject from an image and remove the background, and the Live Text feature now works in videos, allowing you to copy text from any video.
- Health improvements: the built-in Health app lets you track medication intake or share medical information with your loved ones or caregivers. Also, the Fitness app is now available for all iPhone users without requiring an Apple Watch.
- Wallet and Apple Pay: Apple Pay customers can use the service to split the cost of purchases into four payments over six weeks and then track receipts and orders directly in Wallet.
- Many more.
Apple is unlikely to ship iPadOS 16 today, but claims that the most recent iPadOS release will be available in October 2022. Along with new iPads expected to arrive later this year, Apple is likely to unveil the exact release date.
Is it time to start using iOS 16 today, or are you waiting for Apple to introduce a few new fixes? Share your thoughts in the comments.